How to Restore a Brass Bed
Brass beds can be antique or modern pieces of furniture made of solid brass or brass plate. The warm glow of freshly polished brass is a beautiful accent to any bedroom.
The problem is that years of soil and oxidation can ruin the beauty of a brass bed. Some beds have a lacquer coating that has worn away, leaving a spotty brass finish.
Maybe you inherited your brass bed or found a great find at an antique store but don't like the tarnished look of the brass.
Cleaning an old, brass bed is a lot of work but the results are beautiful. You can keep your bed looking freshly polished by sealing it with ProtectaClear.ProtectaClear is an easy to apply, tough, clear protective coating that will keep your brass bed looking like you just finished polishing it.
ProtectaClear is easy to apply by wiping on, painting on or spraying. ProtectaClear is self-leveling so it looks smooth and even without much effort.
- Remove any old lacquer or coatings with xylene or lacquer thinner. You can test for old coatings by trying to clean a small area. If the brass can be cleaned with polish, then there is probably no old coating on the brass.
- Some people take the bed apart and some people polish it intact. This is a personal preference.
- Polish the brass bed with a polish made for brass. Do not use abrasives as brass is very soft and will scratch easily. MAAS polish is an excellent polish and does not acid based so it does not need neutralizing.
- If an acid based polish like Brasso or Tarnex is used, the acid must be neutralized with EZ-Prep Cleaner or baking soda and water.
- Rinse the neutralizer off the brass with plain water and dry.
- Wipe with a clean solvent like xylene or denatured alcohol (available at hardware stores) to remove any contaminants.
- Apply ProtectaClear. Two coats are recommended with an hour between coats.
- Let dry and Enjoy the Beauty.
**Tip: Once you apply ProtectaClear, let it dry without messing with it. It is self-leveling and will dry to a smooth, even finish if left alone
I did use ProtectaClear and it was so easy to use. I love the look it gave
my brass bed and will recommend this product to any one who needs such a
product. Thanks again for providing such a great product.
"We used our ProtectaClear to protect an antique brass baby bed that we bought many years ago. Originally our daughter slept in it. It had been in the attic since then and now we have a new grandson (our first) and wanted to clean it up for him to use. The hard part was cleaning it. The easy part was protecting it with the ProtectaClear product. It worked great and the bed is beautiful.You have a wonderful product. Feel free to use us as a reference anytime.- Regards, Mike and Charlene Davenport
I have received the ProtectaClear and have successfully completed sealing my brass bed. The sealant was the easiest part of the whole project. I absolutely would recommend it to anyone.- Marsha Hibbitts
The results were terrific. We finished the bed parts on Thursday and yesterday my husband and I put the bed together. And yes, if I do say so, the bed looks terrific...it's never looked so great. Thanks again so very much for all your help. I'm not ready to tackle more brass at this point, but when I do I'll certainly coat it with ProtectaClear...polishing brass is for the "birds"!- A. Butcher