HOW TO RESTORE THE COLOR AND LUSTER ON ALUMINUM, STEEL or Other METAL SIDING
Aluminum siding first began appearing on homes in the early 1960s. It is advertised as "low-maintenance". The problem, however is that this product experiences corrosion, especially in areas of high humidity or salty ocean winds. The UV rays from the sun breaks down the paint, fades aluminum siding and creates chalking. Salt air can corrode the metal causing ugly corrosion. Even when the siding is cleaned, it can remain dull and dingy.
Instead of repainting metal siding and losing the original finish, you can rejuvenate the finish and color on your original siding to look new again with EVERBRITE Protective Coating. Not only will your siding look great again, but it will be very easy to keep it clean and it will be protected from sun fading, salt air oxidation and other damaging elements. Once your siding is refinished, all it will need is an occasional water rinse to keep it looking great for years.
Refinishing your siding is a two step process.
Step one. Clean the siding
The goal in cleaning the metal siding is not only to remove dirt and grime, but to remove all the chalky oxidation, wax or grease that may be on the surface so the coating can adhere properly.
The easiest way to clean the siding is with our Cleaning Concentrate and water and a soft bristled cleaning brush that will fit on a pole.
A pressure washer may be used but be very careful with the pressure, it can dent the aluminum if you spray with too much pressure too close to the siding. Pressure washers can also remove paint and may not remove all of the oxidation. Most people find that washing the siding with a brush or sponge gets better results.
Materials needed for cleaning metal siding:
- Brushes (soft bristled brush on pole works very well) or sponges.
- Water source with hose.
- EZ Prep Cleaning Concentrate.
- Fill bucket with about 3 to 4 gallons of water
- Pour in about 4-8 oz. of EZ Prep Cleaner Concentrate in the water. More cleaner can be used if surface is heavily oxidized.
- Wet the siding down first before applying the soap solution to it so it won't streak. Wash a section at a time, rinsing thoroughly after each section. Make sure that you keep the siding wet and do NOT let the soap solution dry on the wall. If it does, it is much more difficult to remove.
- Dip brush or sponge into soap solution and wash siding.
- Rinse well.
- Let dry. If there are areas of oxidation missed, wipe it off with clean rag with clean water.
- It is a good idea to rinse down the oxidation and soap residue from any cement or driveway areas so it does not stain or leave chalky residue. If you have chalk on your home that runs onto your deck, be sure to rinse it off so it does not stain the wood. This can be done while rinsing to avoid the oxidation drying.
********How to tell if the surface is clean enough to coat: The way that the surface looks wet with water after it is cleaned is the way it will look when it is coated. ** Make sure water does NOT bead up on surface and there are NO bubbles when rinsing and the water sheets off.
Step 2 - Restore the finish.
Once your siding is cleaned, it can still be dull and dingy until the finish is rejuvenated. EVERBRITE Protective Coating is clear coating that will bring back the color and finish and your siding will look new again for many years. It is not a lacquer or a wax, but a high quality finish which will last for years and can be indefinitely maintained. EVERBRITE is very easy to apply. It will blend to itself so if you miss an area, it can be easily touched up.
EVERBRITE can be simply wiped on with a clearcoat applicator or a pad made from clean, white, lintfree cloth. High Density rollers or natural paint brushes will also work well for application of the coating. There is no need to buff the surface. The color and finish are instantly renewed. It will dry in about 5 to 10 minutes.
- EVERBRITE Protective Coating.
- Applicator - High Density Foam Roller, Applicator Pad, Natural paint brushes (like horse-hair), Poly-sponge brush or Clean dry lint free white cloth approximately 1-2 foot square. Part of an old T-shirt works well. Make sure that it is white so the color of the shirt does not go onto the siding.
- Application pan. A paint pan or the throwaway aluminum cake pans work well.
- Nitrile or chemical protective gloves to protect your hands. The solvent in EVERBRITE can make rubber gloves sticky. Also use other personal protection for eyes, skin, etc.
For application on larger areas, spraying EVERBRITE is much easier than wiping it on. You can use an affordable, easy to use HVLP (High Volume, Low Pressure) sprayer for easier application.
- Pour EVERBRITE into clean, dry paint pan on a tarp. DO NOT DILUTE EVERBRITE WITH ANYTHING ELSE.
- Dip the applicator completely into the EVERBRITE in the application pan. Squeeze out excess. Applicator should not be dripping. If applying on vertical surface, keep an eye out for drips or sags. If you do get drips or runs on the surface, simply wipe them out with a lint free applicator wet with EVERBRITE.
- **If the surface looks streaky, your applicator is probably not wet enough or unevenly wet. This allows the dry and wet parts of the applicator to apply EVERBRITE with different thicknesses. The solution is to dip the applicator completely in EVERBRITE and wring out the excess. Re-dip when needed.
- Apply the EVERBRITET on the surface in smooth, even strokes. Pad, roller or other applicator should glide smoothly, when it starts sticking, dip applicator in EVERBRITE again and wring out excess. All you need is a thin, even coat. Once you apply EVERBRITE, LEAVE IT ALONE TO DRY. EVERBRITE is self-leveling.
- Some surfaces will benefit from several coats. Repainted surfaces or surfaces with pitting or corrosion or porous surfaces should have several coats.
- Any missed areas or thin areas can be rewiped after 1st coat is dry to touch. (approximately 10 - 20 minutes) or an aerosol can be used for easy touch-up on hard to reach places.
That's it. NO rubbing, NO buffing, Let dry & enjoy the beautiful, new looking, easy to maintain siding. Dirt, dust will not penetrate into the new finish and your siding will be much easier to keep clean.
My metal siding has mildew or mold on it, what can I do?
Many homes get mold or mildew which can dull siding and awnings. Normally, this happens on the north side or in shaded areas. Remove mildew or mold by adding bleach to the wash water or spraying a solution of bleach and water onto your siding with a garden sprayer. Add one part bleach to 3 parts water. Make sure to protect your eyes & the rest of you (hair, etc) so the bleach will not harm you. Be careful as bleach will hurt your plants. You may want to tarp them to protect them. If you do get bleach on your plants, make sure to rinse them off immediately with clean water.
My siding has been repainted, will EVERBRITE work to bring back the color and shine?
If you have already painted your aluminum siding, EVERBRITE will seal the paint from moisture and protect it from fading. It will also help keep the paint elastic so it will expand and contract with the siding.
As with any project, use extreme care when working on a ladder. Safety is always important. Make sure the ladder is in good condition and is set safely. Another thing to watch out for is the electrical lines going into your home. Make sure to steer clear of them, especially if you have a metal ladder.
If using bleach to remove mildew, make sure to protect your eyes & the rest of you (hair, etc) so the bleach will not harm you. Be careful as bleach will hurt your plants. You may want to tarp them to protect them. If you do get bleach on your plants, make sure to rinse them off immediately with clean water.
Read and follow complete directions in the Technical Specifications and the M.S.D.S. Included with each order.
We will be happy to help you figure out what you need to refinish your siding. Measure the approximate length and height of your walls and take a close look at the oxidation on your home. You may want to clean a small area of your siding with a wet cloth or sponge to see how easily the oxidation comes off.
Try EVERBRITE Protective Coating on your siding and see just how beautiful and easy to care for your siding can be. Want to try it first? Refinish about 25 square feet for $23.95 plus postage.Click here to get your Trial Kit.