Not what you are looking for? Check out our NEW Sitemap
ILLUSTRATED DIRECTIONS FOR APPLICATION of EVERBRITE or ProtectaClear
on NEW Copper, Brass, Stainless Steel, Aluminum or Other Plated Metals. Also use these instructions for metals with patina you do not want to remove.
Read and follow complete directions in the Technical Specifications and the M.S.D.S. Everbrite is a solvent based coating. Use proper protection, good ventilation, eye protection, and gloves.
If the metal you want to protect is new or you do not want to remove the patina, there is no need to polish the metal, there just are 2 Basic Steps. 1. Solvent Wipe to remove mill oil, fingerprints, etc. 2. Apply Coating. See just how easy it is - NEW VIDEO
If the metal is tarnished or needs polishing, click here for Polishing & Cleaning Instructions.
STEP 1 - CLEANING THE SURFACE
The key to proper application is getting the surface completely clean and to remove any mill oil, fingerprints or other contaminants.
STEP 1 - SOLVENT WIPE
Since the metal you want to protect is new or you like the look of the patina, there shouldn't be a need to clean or polish it. Any contaminants need to be removed by wiping the copper or brass with solvent and clean cloths. We recommend using xylene (available at paint stores or hardware stores) to remove the residue and a final wipe with denatured alcohol to make sure that the metal is completely clean right before coating. (Do not use isopropyl alcohol).
Make sure that the metal is completely dry. Even copper and brass can retain moisture, it is helpful to heat the metal with a heat gun or even a hair dryer to make sure that all moisture is evaporated. Let the metal cool so it is warm and not hot before applying the coating.
STEP 4 - Application of EVERBRITE™ or ProtectaClear Coatings
EVERBRITE Coatings are high quality, very forgiving products that is easy to work with. EVERBRITE Coatings can be reapplied or touched up without stripping. If you make a mistake, it is easy to fix it - simply remove the coating from the area with solvent, let it dry and reapply.
EVERBRITE Protective Coating or ProtectaClear Coating. Click here for Comparison Charts.
An Applicator. You can use a clear-coat applicator, high density foam rollers or brushes, or a pad made from clean, dry, lint-free white cloth approximately 1-2 foot square. Smooth cloth works better than terry-cloth. Part of an old T-shirt works well. Make sure that it is white so the color of the shirt does not go onto the surface being coated. The coating can be sprayed on with HVLP or airless sprayers with fine finish tips.
Application pan. A metal paint pan or the throwaway aluminum cake pans work well. Use metal or glass (not plastic), the solvent in the coating can melt plastic containers.
Nitrile or chemical protective gloves to protect your hands. Eye protection is also recommended.
1. Make sure that there is good ventilation in your work area.
2. Pour enough EVERBRITE or ProtectaClear into clean, dry container to be able to completely wet your applicator. DO NOT DILUTE THE COATING WITH ANYTHING ELSE.
3. Dip the applicator completely into the Coating in the application pan. This will avoid streaks caused by parts of the applicator being wet and parts being dry. Gently squeeze out the excess. Applicator should not be dripping. Apply the Coating to small area, make sure the coating does not fish-eye or bead up and flows out evenly. If the coating beads up or has fish-eye, the surface is not clean. Stop and clean the surface with clean solvent and clean cloth again.
If applying on vertical surface, keep an eye out for drips or sags. If you get drips or runs on the surface, simply wipe them out with your applicator.
**If the surface looks streaky, your applicator is probably not wet enough or unevenly wet. This allows the dry and wet parts of the applicator to apply the Coating with different thicknesses. The solution is to dip the applicator completely in the Coating and gently squeeze out the excess so it is not dripping. Re-dip when needed.
5. Apply in smooth, even strokes. There is no need to press hard. The applicator should glide smoothly, when it starts sticking, dip applicator in the Coating again and gently squeeze out the excess. All you need is a thin, even coat. Most surfaces will benefit from 2 coats. Once you apply Everbrite or ProtectaClear Coating, leave it alone so it can self level.
6. Any missed areas or thin areas can be rewiped after 1st coat is dry to touch. ON RAW STEEL, 3 TO 4 COATS ARE NECESSARY TO PREVENT RUST and CORROSION.
That's it. NO rubbing, NO buffing, Let dry and enjoy the beautiful, new looking, easy to maintain surface. Dirt, dust will not penetrate into the new finish and will be much easier to keep clean.
Note: EVERBRITE will dry to the touch in 5 - 25 minutes (depending on temperature and which Everbrite Coating is applied). The coated surface cleans up fast with just mild soap and water. If scratched, simply clean area and touch up - EVERBRITE will blend to itself.
Questions? Can't find the information you are looking for?