How-To Refurbish Oxidized Anodized Aluminum.
Anodized aluminum extrusions can fade and oxidize. Anodized aluminum can get ugly pits from salt corrosion if located near the ocean. Even new anodized aluminum can be ruined by stucco or mortar on new buildings.
EVERBRITE and ProtectaClear are clear protective coatings that will restore the color and finish on dull and faded anodized aluminum and will protect them from oxidation, corrosion and other damaging elements. This procedure can also be used to refurbish and protect aluminum curtain wall. ProtectaClear is recommended for anodized aluminum wheels or automotive parts.
For heavily oxidized or pitted aluminum-
START HERE: heavy duty cleaning steps.
If the aluminum is just faded, these steps can be skipped. Make sure that the surface is clean before application of the coating.
- Make up a paste (thin) with a "No-scratch" cleanser like BonAmi and water.
- Use an approved scrubber, like our prep pads.
- Rinse the aluminum with water. Cleaners should be applied to a wet surface.
- Dip the scrubber into the mixed no-scratch cleanser and apply to the window extrusion.
- Scrub gently to remove oxidation, dirt and any mold etc.
- Rinse well, Do not let the cleanser dry on the surface, it will be more difficult to remove.
If your anodized aluminum is not pitted or heavily oxidized-
- Wash using EZ-Prep Concentrated Free Rinsing Cleaner and water or a mild dish soap like Original Dawn (with no lotion). Use 1-2 ounces of EZ-Prep per gallon of water. This process removes any residual oils and dust. A brush, (a soft car wash type) is helpful.
- Rinse with lots of fresh water until the water sheets off of the metal. (again, do not allow any soap mixture to dry on the surface).
These cleaners will leave a completely neutral and residue free surface ready for the next step.
- Ensure the cleaned surfaces are dry.
- The final cleaning step is to use a solvent like xylene or denatured alcohol (available at hardware stores). Wipe metal with a soft clean terry towel or a clean microfiber cloth to remove any residue, fingerprints, etc. just prior to coating. Make sure surface is free of lint before coating.
- Apply EVERBRITE Coating. Make sure the applicator is completely soaked but not dripping. Do not press hard, just let the applicator glide over the surface. If additional coats are desired, allow coating to dry completely between coats, about an hour.
Application can be sprayed on, rolled on with a high-density white foam roller, foam paint brush, traditional paint brush, or wiped on with an EVERBRITE soaked applicator pad.
No matter the color of the aluminum, EVERBRITE will renew the color and finish of the aluminum very effectively. Everbrite will also restore anodized aluminum that has been damaged by stucco or mortar.
An Everbrite Trial Kit will clean and restore about 25 square feet.
A Starter Kit will clean and restore about 125 square feet.
Also available in Satin.
Questions? Can't find the information you are looking for?