Check out our Illustrated Directions.
DIRECTIONS FOR APPLICATION of EVERBRITE or ProtectaClear
on Copper, Brass, Bronze, Silver, Stainless Steel, Non-painted Aluminum, Highly Polished Aluminum, Chrome, Alloys or Other Plated or Non-Painted Metals.
Read and follow complete directions in the Technical Specifications and the M.S.D.S.
STEP 1 - CLEANING THE SURFACE
The key to proper application is getting the surface completely clean. Use your favorite metal cleaner to polish the copper or brass to the desired finish.
MAAS metal polish works great and is not acid based so you can skip the following neutralizing step. You will still need to solvent wipe to remove any residue.
If you acid washed the metal or used an acid based cleaner, the surface MUST be neutralized or the solvent in the coating will react with the acid causing problems. It's easy to do, just wash the metal with a solution of water and calcium carbonate or baking soda or EZ Prep Cleaner. EZ Prep is an acid neutralizer. Just rinsing with water will not remove the acid from the surface.
Once your metal is clean and polished, there is still residue left by the polish. Even buffing leaves a residue that must be removed. The residue is removed by wiping the copper or brass with solvent and clean cloths. We recommend using xylene or denatured alcohol (available at paint stores or hardware stores - sorry, we cannot ship solvent cleaners) to remove the residue and to make sure that the metal is completely clean. (Do not use isopropyl alcohol).
Make sure that the metal is completely dry. Even copper and brass can retain moisture, it is helpful to heat the metal with a heat gun or even a hair dryer to make sure that all moisture is evaporated. Let the metal cool so it is warm and not hot before applying the coating.
STEP 2 - APPLICATION OF EVERBRITE or ProtectaClear
Everbrite and ProtectaClear are high quality, very forgiving products that are easy to work with. Everbrite or ProtectaClear can be reapplied or touched up without stripping. If you make a mistake, it is easy to fix it - simply remove the coating from the area with solvent, let it dry and reapply.
Materials needed:ProtectaClear or Everbrite Protective Coating for exterior applications - Available in Liquid or Aerosols.
An Applicator if you are applying the liquid coating. You can use a clear-coat applicator, high density foam rollers or brushes, or a pad made from clean, dry, lint-free white cloth approximately 1-2 foot square. Polyester cloth is lint free and works great. Make sure that it is white so the color of the shirt does not go onto the surface being coated. The coating can be sprayed on with HVLP sprayers or airless sprayers with fine finish tips.
Application pan. A METAL paint pan or the throwaway aluminum pans work well. Use metal or glass (not plastic), (he solvent in the coating can melt plastic containers.)
Nitrile or chemical protective gloves to protect your hands. One pair comes with every order.
1. Make sure that there is good ventilation in your work area.
2. Pour enough coating into clean, dry container to be able to completely wet your applicator. DO NOT DILUTE THE COATING WITH ANYTHING ELSE.
3. Dip the applicator completely into the the coating in the application pan. This will avoid streaks caused by parts of the applicator being wet and parts being dry. Squeeze out excess. Applicator should not be dripping. Apply the coating to small area, make sure the coating does not fish-eye or bead up and flows out evenly. If the coating beads up or has fish-eye, the surface is not clean. Stop and clean the surface with clean solvent and clean cloth again.
If applying on vertical surface, keep an eye out for drips or sags. If you get drips or runs on the surface, simply wipe them out with your applicator.
**If the surface looks streaky, your applicator is probably not wet enough or unevenly wet. This allows the dry and wet parts of the applicator to apply the coating with different thicknesses. The solution is to dip the applicator completely in the coating and wring out the excess so it is not dripping. Re-dip when needed.
5. Apply in smooth, even strokes. Applicator should glide smoothly, when it starts sticking, dip applicator in the coating again and wring out. All you need is a thin, even coat. Some surfaces will benefit from several coats. ProtectaClear or Everbrite will cover approximately 1000 square feet per gallon at 0.5 mil thick wet film thickness.
6. Any missed areas or thin areas can be re-wiped after 1st coat is dry to touch. Recommended time: at least 1 hour between coats. ON RAW STEEL, 3 TO 4 COATS ARE NECESSARY TO PREVENT RUST and CORROSION.
That's it. NO rubbing, NO buffing, Let dry & enjoy the beautiful, new looking, easy to maintain surface. Dirt, dust will not penetrate into the new finish and will be much easier to keep clean.
Note:The coated surface cleans up fast with just soap and water. Indefinitely maintainable.
Questions? Can't find the information you are looking for?